Chemical reaction, types– combustion, decomposition, displacement etc.
Welcome to chem 113 sharp-brain free tutorial. Today, we are going to learn chemical reaction, types and application. Follow through with your note book.
Topic: chemical reaction
Chemical reaction is the combination of two or more chemical compound which are called the reactants, to form new substances called the products.
E.g A + B — C
Types of chemical reactions
A Combustion reaction is a kind of reaction in which a reaction between any combutivul substance and an oxidizer takes place to form and oxidizing agent. A combustion reaction is mostly accompany by fire and release of energy and sentence.A combustion reaction is a chemical reaction in which undergos oxidation agent resulting to the release of energy usually in form of heat.
They are generally and highly exothermic redox reaction between an oxidant and a fuel . The product formed in a combustion reaction is usually the oxidized fuel, which is liberated in the gaseous state. This is often referred to as smoke,
Read also: Chem 113 course outline
It is not uncommon for combustion reaction to be accompanied by flame, it is to know that note all combustion reaction occurs in fire. Solid fuel like coal and woods are know to intially under go exothermic pirolysis, resulting to the creation of gaseous fuel. The combustion of this gaseous fuel is known to proved the heat required to drive more combustion, also it is not uncommon for combustion to be sufficiently hot, to generate in condescent light, in the form of either a flame or some flickering . The transformation of hydrogen and oxygen into what vapor a process widely used used to power rocket engine can be seen as an example of combustion. Hydrogen is used as a fuel and oxygen as an oxidizing agent, this combustion reaction is know to realized over 242KJ heat per mole of fuel subjected to combustion.
*How does Combustion reaction affect our day to day Life*
1. The combustion of LBG fuel in gas stove for the cooking of food involves the combustion reaction between the oxygen present in the outermost sphere and the Liquidity hydrogen gas.
2. Engines of cars, bikes and other fossil based automobile, source there booster from the combustion reaction between petrol or diesel and oxygen.
3. The lighten of matches or match sticks, is also based on the combustion reaction. The red phosphorus at the tip, of the match stick , is heated up by sticking it on a rough surface. Sparking combustion reaction between phosphorus and atmospheric oxygen.
4. The expression of fire works is also a combustion reaction , in this redox reaction certain specific ion Incorporated into the fuel to impact a color to the flame this combustion reaction, many other combustion reaction are employed in a wide range of industry e.g the space industry is known exploit the combustion reaction between hydrogen and oxygen for the generation of clean energy.
Join: PHY 112 online tutorial
Some chemical reaction
Ch³OH + O² –>>> H²O + CO²
Balancing the equation
2Ch³OH + 3O² –>>> 4H²O + 2CO²
2. The combustion reaction undergone by Methane CH4 are known to yourself water and carbondioxide as product
CH4 + O2 –>>>> 2H²O + CO²
3. The combustion of Propane which is widely involved in cooking setup like fire grease is represented by the chemical equation
C³H⁸ +O² –>>>> H²O + CO2
4. *Methaline* also undergoes combustion in the presence of oxygen give hydrogen CO²
5. Another import combustion reaction involving hydrocarbon , is the of ethane.
The chemical equation for the reaction of ethane and oxygen
C²H⁶ + O² —>>> H²O + CO²
Types of combustion reaction
*Incomplete and complete combustion*
In complete combustion reaction, involves complete oxidation of the fuel usually a hydro carbon, such reaction liberated only water and carbon dioxide as product. E.g oxidation undergone by wax candles. Wax is a hydrocarbon that undergoes clean combustion to yourself only carry and small amount of water as the product. It can also be noted that no ash or by product are left behind when the entire candles are burnt out.
*Incomplete combustion reaction* or dirty combustion reaction are the combustion reactions that involves the formation of by products such as ash and the soot. It is not uncommon for such reaction to liberate carbon monoxide (they’re highly a poisonous gas).
2. Decomposition reaction:
This can be defined as a chemical reaction when , 1 reactant breaks down into two or more products.
A –>>> B + C
CaCO³ –>> CaO + CO²
NaCl —>> Na + Cl
Na²CO³ —->>> Na²O + CO²
Composition reaction around us
1. The decomposition of carbonic acid. E.g Soft drink (fizzy drink)
H²CO³ —>>> H²O + CO²
2. The electrolysis of water to yield hydrogen and oxygen
H²O —>> H² + O
3. The decomposition of ozone
O³ —>> O² exothermic reaction heat is given out
4. The decomposition of NO
NO —->>> N² + O²
*Application of decomposition reaction*
1. *Extraction of metal* from there ores E.g ZINC can be obtained from calamite is the ore of zinc, you can also extract sodium from sodium chloride,
3. Double Decomposition
A double decomposition reaction is a kind of reaction in which two consistent reactant interchange positive and negative ion and form new compound
e.g HCL + NaOH —>>> NaCl + HOH
*Types of decomposition reaction*
1. *Thermal Decomposition reaction*
This is activated by thermal energy , eng a reaction is activated by thermal energy the reaction is endothermic e.g
CaCO³ —>> CaO + CO² this is known as quick lime.
Fe(OH³)–>> Fe²O + H²O this is known as ferric iron
MgCO³ –>>> MgO + CO²
H³PO⁴ –>>> H⁴P²O⁷ + H²O
NH⁴Cr²O⁷ —>> N² + H²O + CrO³
2. *Electrolytic decomposition reaction*
Here the activation energy is provided in form of electrical energy . (Activation energy is that energy that enable a reaction to occur)
E.g Electrolysis of water H²O —>>> H² + O²
NaCl —>>> Na + Cl
3. *Photo Decomposition reaction/*
The reactant are broken down to is constituent by absolving energy from photons